A first retrospective

Hi all!

Vsitors of our blog

Visitors of our blog

When we started our blog, it was just for the purpose of letting our friends know what is happening. Now, barely four months in, we are overwhelmed by the fact that we are getting so much attention and encouragement from all over the world. So thank you all for your interest! If you have any ideas on how to improve our site or special interests, please comment. We would love to have a lively debate on our project!

 

 

As promised in an older post, here is a first summary of our catamaran building project.

I guess everyone was impressed about how quickly the catamaran took shape. Up to this stage we spent about 850 hours working on the boat. These are made up of the following:

  • joining the panels and cutting the tabs – 170 hours
  • preparing the building site – 20 hours
  • building the starboard hull – 270 hours
  • cabin top assembly – 60 hours
  • building the port hull – 200 hours
  • inserting the main bulkheads and the bridgedeck – 130 hours

This fast pace was based on several things: as the boat is being built at a professional boatyard, all the tools and facilities necessary for the building process are available. For example, the setup of the strongback only took minutes because there was one there already.  The help of Stephan, our friend and professional boatbuilder with building experience of over 25 catamarans cannot be rated highly enough. He sure saves us a lot of time and his crew helps us whenever they can. And as you can see, with the gained experience it was easily possible to increase the building speed from 270 hours for the first hull down to only 200 hours for the second hull. Despite the fact that something was slightly wrong with the measures of the hull length, all Duflex parts fitted quite well and did not need extensive readjustments. Between the long hull panels there were few gaps of up to 2 mm but we thought this was tolerable. The chines need to be filled ad taped over anyway. So all in all we are quite pleased and confident that we will be able to finish construction of the catamaran within the estimated 3000 hours. We´ll see!

The upcoming work will not show a lot of progress. The hull structure will be fortified by shelves, floorboards, steps, furniture etc. Everything is again precut from Duflex, for the furniture a lightweight foam core is used. Next all the open edges need to be decored and backfilled and after all, the surfaces have to be filled and sanded. This will take us quite a while. Besides we are working on the daggerboards. The original construction is made of foam/wood core, glassed over, filled and sanded. I wanted to try a more lightweight construction. My idea: make a mould out of 2 mm Perspex according to the desired profile. Then make 2 sandwich parts and glue them together with a carbon pole as leading edge and a sail batten as trailing edge. My first try looks quite promising.

50 cm trial of daggerboard

50 cm trial of daggerboard

I need to improve the profile, the surface didn´t come out of the mould as brilliant as desired and the final boards need a spine for what I intend to use some scrap Duflex.Dagger02

The sandwich layup from outside to inside: 260 g carbon fabric, 3 layers carbon uni tape along the deepest part of the profile, 400 g carbon biax, 4 mm Foam with bleeder holes, 400 g glass biax, vacuum bagged.