Main bulkheads and bridgedeck installed

Next steps after aligning the two hulls was joining them with the four large bulkheads and install the bridgedeck. The question was – would they fit properly? We were a little doubtful since we found out that the two hulls are 8 cm short. How could this be? The only reason we could imagine was, that at the very beginning when joining the panels something must have gone wrong. Still don´t know what but I´ll keep you posted on that. So we were rather happy that the bulkheads fitted in by the millimeter.

Forward webs

Forward webs

Before we went for the bridgedeck – the largest and heaviest panel of all – we glued in the forward webs, so that the curved part of the bridgedeck would evenly pick up the bend. The spaces, formed by the webs are going to enclose things like fuel- and watertanks, Anchor, chain and windlass, Gas Bottles etc.

The bridgedeck also fitted in perfectly and after cutting saw kerfs crossways every 7 – 10 cm into the panel it was fairly easy to attach and glue the part to the existing structure.  The kerfs were filled with microspheres before the bending and after removing the excess this part was glassed over wet in wet.

 

043

Front view

Now it looks pretty much like a catamaran! I love it! The next steps will not show a lot of progress. There is lots of glueing and taping to do, webs and soles and other fortifications have to be installed, open panels need to be decored and filled an finally there is lots of filling and sanding to do.

At this point it might be time for a first resume. In the next couple of days I will share some thoughts about the building method, give you some figures on the time we worked on the catamaran and how we organized ourselves.

Cheers Chris042

040